Hillary: Blame Me for Losing—Also Blame Comey

Appearing Tuesday at the annual Women for Women luncheon in New York City, former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton took personal responsibility for her loss in the 2016 election while also pinning blame on FBI Director James Comey and “Russian WikiLeaks." Asked by interviewer Christiane Amanpour whether she’s accepted some responsibility for failing to counter Donald Trump’s “successful message," Clinton said: “Of course. I take absolutely personal responsibility. I was the candidate. I was the person who was on the ballot." Shortly thereafter, however, she told the audience, “I was on the way to winning until a combination of Jim Comey’s letter on October 28th and Russian WikiLeaks raised doubts in the minds of people who were inclined to vote for me but got scared off. And the evidence for that intervening event is, I think, compelling, persuasive." Clinton later added a jab at Trump’s Achille’s heel: his popular-vote tally. “I did win more than 3 million votes more than my opponent," she said.

If you’re having trouble viewing this email, you can view it in a browser.

The Daily Beast CHEAT SHEET
PM
EDITION
2
May
 
1. RESPONSIBILITY
Hillary Clinton ‘Takes Blame’ for Loss
Appearing Tuesday at the annual Women for Women luncheon in New York City, former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton took personal responsibility for her loss in the 2016 election while also pinning blame on FBI Director James Comey and “Russian WikiLeaks." Asked by interviewer Christiane Amanpour whether she’s accepted some responsibility for failing to counter Donald Trump’s “successful message," Clinton said: “Of course. I take absolutely personal responsibility. I was the candidate. I was the person who was on the ballot." Shortly thereafter, however, she told the audience, “I was on the way to winning until a combination of Jim Comey’s letter on October 28th and Russian WikiLeaks raised doubts in the minds of people who were inclined to vote for me but got scared off. And the evidence for that intervening event is, I think, compelling, persuasive." Clinton later added a jab at Trump’s Achille’s heel: his popular-vote tally. “I did win more than 3 million votes more than my opponent," she said.
 
Read More
 
 
 
 
 
 
2. LET’S MAKE A DEAL
Slager’s State Murder Case to Be Dropped
The former North Charleston police officer who shot and killed Walter Scott in 2015 will no longer face state murder charges. Ex-cop Michael Slager pleaded guilty Tuesday to federal charges of violating Scott’s civil rights and, in exchange, prosecutors arranged for the existing South Carolina murder charge and two other federal counts (lying to investigators and using a firearm in a violent crime) to be dropped. Under the federal charge to which he pleaded guilty, Slager can face as little as no prison time or as much as life behind bars, all depending on whether a jury believes he committed murder. The former officer’s state case ended in a hung jury last year and was scheduled for a retrial this year.
READ IT AT The Post and Courier  
 
Read More
 
 
 
 
 
 
3. MODERATING FORCE
‘Access Hollywood’ Tape Made Ivanka Cry
Ivanka Trump was reportedly “reduced to tears" after viewing the infamous Access Hollywood tape, in which then-reality-TV host Donald Trump bragged to host Billy Bush about grabbing women “by the pussy" without their consent. The video tape, released in early October 2016 by The Washington Post, had threatened to derail Trump’s presidential campaign, and according to The New York Times, Ivanka “made an emphatic case for a full-throated apology… Raised amid a swirl of tabloid headlines, she had spent her adult life branding herself as her father’s poised, family-focused daughter. She marketed her clothing line with slogans about female empowerment and was finishing a book on the topic. As she spoke, Mr. Trump remained unyielding. His daughter’s eyes welled with tears, her face reddened, and she hurried out in frustration."
READ IT AT The New York Times  
 
Read More
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
4. REACHING OUT
Obama Lauds Kimmel’s Tear-Filled Plea
Former President Barack Obama on Tuesday publicly applauded Jimmy Kimmel’s tear-filled plea for lawmakers and President Trump to not repeal Obamacare provisions, especially the one protecting coverage for individuals with pre-existing conditions. “Well said, Jimmy," the ex-president wrote on Twitter. “That’s exactly why we fought so hard for the ACA, and why we need to protect it for kids like Billy. And congratulations!" Kimmel on Monday evening’s Jimmy Kimmel Live shed tears during a monologue recalling his son’s birth last week and the heart defect that required the newborn to have immediate surgery.
READ IT AT The Hill  
 
 
 
 
 
 
5. PARTY LINE
Putin Echoes Trump on Hacking ‘Rumors’
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday that allegations of Moscow’s meddling in U.S. elections are “rumors used in an American domestic political battle," almost parroting a line President Donald Trump has used in the past. “You referred to the example of the United States, which has not been confirmed by anyone or anything," Putin said at a press conference. “It’s just rumors used in an American domestic political battle." Trump last month tweeted: “The Democrats made up and pushed the Russian story as an excuse for running a terrible campaign." On Saturday, Trump continued to cast doubt on Russia’s actions, telling Face the Nation, “It’s very hard" to know who may have been involved. “With that being said, I’ll go along with Russia. Could’ve been China, could’ve been a lot of different groups," he said.
READ IT AT RIA Novosti  
 
Read More
 
 
 
 
 
 
6. FUTURE INTERVIEW?
Megyn Kelly to Head to Russia for Putin
NBC News confirmed Tuesday that Megyn Kelly will head to Russia next month to moderate a panel that will include Russian President Vladimir Putin. The session will take place at the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum, which will be held June 1-3. According to New York Post Page Six insiders: “This is a great way for Megyn to get an inside track and land the big one-on-one interview with President Putin." The gossip page also revealed last month that NBC News Chief Andy Lack traveled to Russia to “lay the groundwork" for a Putin sit-down interview.
READ IT AT Page Six  
 
Read More
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
7. REASSURING
Nicolás Maduro: ‘I Am No Mussolini’
In his latest attempt to protect his powers and avoid an election, Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro called for a vote to elect a special assembly to redraft of his country’s constitution. “Don’t let yourselves be fooled. This is a fraud, a coup d’état," said opposition leader Julio Borges, head of the country’s National Assembly. Maduro’s response: “I am no Mussolini." He added that a transformation for Venezuelan state is necessary, amid turmoil and widespread protests—"especially that rotten National Assembly over there."
READ IT AT Wall Street Journal  
 
Read More
 
 
 
 
 
 
8. RESPONSIBLE
Trump: We Need Shutdown to Fix ‘Mess’
President Donald Trump on Tuesday said a shutdown of the U.S. government would be necessary in order to fix the “mess" in Congress. “The reason for the plan negotiated between the Republicans and Democrats is that we need 60 votes in the Senate which are not there!" Trump tweeted. “We either elect more Republican Senators in 2018 or change the rules now to 51%. Our country needs a good ‘shutdown’ in September to fix miss!" he added. Trump is likely referring to the funding agreement reached between Democratic and Republican leaders on Capitol Hill in which he did not get his desired funding immediately for items such as a border wall with Mexico. 
READ IT AT Twitter  
 
Read More
 
 
 
 
 
 
9. NICK OF TIME
Hollywood Writers, Studios Reach Deal
Hollywood writers and major entertainment studios reached a tentative deal late Monday night, halting a strike that would’ve begun Tuesday. The 9,000-member Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture Television Producers evidently found common ground at the last minute after a long week of tense negotiating. The agreement specifically dealt with an increase in television residuals, the Guild’s health-insurance plan, and provisions for shorter television seasons—the last of which has led to a drop in earnings for writers. Over the past few years, the Guild said its members have suffered an average decrease of 23 percent in earnings, as streaming services cut the typical number of episodes in a season down from 22 to around 10. “Did we get everything we wanted? No. Everything we deserve? Certainly not. But because we had the near-unanimous backing of you and your fellow writers, we were able to achieve a deal that will net this Guild’s members $130 million more, over the life of the contract, than the pattern we were expected to accept," the Guild said in a memo to members early Tuesday morning.
READ IT AT Variety  
 
Read More
Writers Guild Authorizes Strike
BY The Daily Beast
 
 
 
 
 
 
10. FENWAY
Orioles’ Jones Berated by Racist Taunts
Adam Jones, an All-Star center fielder for the Baltimore Orioles, said he was taunted with racial slurs and had peanuts thrown at him Monday night at Boston’s Fenway Park. Jones, who is one of only about 60 black players on Major League Baseball rosters this year, said Red Sox fans in the crowd yelled obscenities at him and threw food. “A disrespectful fan threw a bag of peanuts at me," Jones said, “I was called the N-word a handful of times." Jones added that the night was among the worst experiences on the field in his career, despite having dealt with racist and heckling fans before. “It is what it is, right," he continued. “I just go out and play baseball. It’s unfortunate that people need to resort to those type of epithets to degrade another human being. I’m trying to make a living for myself and for my family." In a statement, the Red Sox organization apologized to Jones. “No player should have an object thrown at him on the playing field, nor be subjected to any kind of racism at Fenway Park," team president Sam Kennedy said, adding that an investigation into exactly what happened is “ongoing." Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker said fans’ behavior was “unacceptable & shameful. This is not what Massachusetts & Boston are about."
READ IT AT USA Today  
 
Read More
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  Facebook   Twitter   Google+   Forward to a Friend  
 
THE DAILY BEAST  |  ABOUT US  |  CONTACT US
© Copyright 2017 The Daily Beast Company LLC
555 W. 18th Street, New York NY 10011
If you are on a mobile device or cannot view the images in this message, click here to view this email in your Web browser.
To ensure delivery of these emails, please add thedailybeast@e2.thedailybeast.com to your address book.
If you have changed your mind and no longer wish to receive these emails, or think you have received this message in error, you can safely unsubscribe here.
Posted in 未分類